The options or sentences in asterisk (*) are the answers in the questions.
1. Modupe and Tayo always visit where at dark hours:
A. Lebanese Cinema*
B. Hill’s Club
C. Auvergne’s Theatre
D. Las Palmas de Club
2. “Here is some money for the ladies”; The speaker here is ________
A. Uncle Kayode
B. Yusuf(Tayo’s friend)
C. Mr. Adeniyi Ajayi
D. Uncle B*
3. It was said in the letter written to Inspector Adeniyi Ajayi, that Tayo met King Olav’s son from ________
A. South Africa
4. Mr. Ike Nwandi, studies _______ abroad
D. Modern Languages
5. What was Uncle Kayode’s job rank before his return from Abroad?
A. FBI agent
C. Senior Army Officer*
6. A simile embroidered to qualify Mr. Ajayi’s silver car was – Answer: *It was glistened like a fresh river fish*
7. Before Tayo’s travel, He presumed that Uncle Bola held – Answer: *the secret to a woman’s heart*
8. In the last sentence of Mr. Ajayi’s letter to his son was their family’s motto which states – Answer: *In all things moderation, with exception of study*
9. How is Suleiman related to Vanessa
(a) Biological son*
(b) Adopted son
10. Vanessa’s Mother known as ______ died of cancer in what year.
(a) Mrs Baker, 1975
(b) Mrs Elizabeth, 1976
(c) Mrs Baker, 1977
(d) Mrs Elizabeth, 1978*
11. Vanessa was eventually married to who?
(a) Professor Peters
(b) Professor Tayo
(c) Professor Edwards*
(d) Professor Trevor
12. What is the nature of Christine’s death?
(a) Murder, overdose*
(b) Suicide, overdose
13. Uncle Kayode later pursued a career in _______
(a) Teaching, London
(b) Businessman, France
(c) Engineering, France*
(d) Sailor, London
14. Professor Tayo was given an honorary award in
(b) Civil Law
15. How many honorees were awarded a doctorate alongside Professor Tayo
16. Tayo’s cousin, Tunde is the Pastor of
(a) a great Catholic Cathedral in London
(b) a Nigerian protestant church in London
(c) fastest growing Nigerian Church in London*
(d) a Baptist Regional Church in London
17. Kwame had been teaching in the ______ before Tayo’s arrival
(a) California University
(b) Oxford University
(c) London University
(d) San Francisco University*
18. For how many years has Kwame been teaching in the University before Tayo’s arrival.
19. The name of the driver accompanying Tayo to the Airport when he had an accident is
20. Mrs. Elizabeth seemingly had an affair with a slave while in Nigeria named?
21. Pick-up-your-stick-and-sandals marriage was a phrase popularly used by the ______ according to Vanessa
22. Salamatou is the biological mother of Suleiman, but she died of
(b) Car accident*
(c) Brief Illness
(d) Heart attack
23. Vanessa married to Professor Barker on
(a) July 14th 1975
(b) July 15th 1976*
(c) July 16th 1977
(d) July 17th 1978
24. Suleiman was ______ years old when he dropped out of the university
25. Vanessa Richardson is an Africa Journalist who writes column for
(a) Washington Post
(b) New York Times
(c) The Guardian*
(d) Daily Times
26. Akin, the carver, had a great uncle, who was a servant to ______ during colonial periods
(a) Colonial officer Jonathan
(b) Mr Nancy Murdoch
(c) Sir Hugh Trevor
(d) Lord Lugard*
27. Tayo lied to Vanessa that Christine was his
28. Kemi (Tayo’s daughter) has a boyfriend named ______, who works as a _____
(a) Charlie, photographer
(b) Laurent, chef*
(c) Richard, chef
(d) Metuh, photographer.
BDCBCDCCDB [9-18] CCCBBBCDCB [19-28].
29. Tayo’s mother died on her way to____?
30. where does Ike work?
(a)In a bar
(b)in the ministry of education*
(c)as a British council
(d)as a business man
31. Which word does Akin’s uncle have a penchant for?
32. who told Tayo his mother was dead?
33. what game did Akin’s uncle start with his friends?
34. what is the name of Akin’s uncle boss?
35. whom did Tayo think of whenever he was with Helene?
36. what was written on Kemi’s snoopy night dress?
(a)Love is the whole world*
(b)Rock my style
(c)Love my style love me
(d)kiss my ass
37. where did ajayis always fly to for the summer holidays?
38. in what year did uncle kayode get married to Helene?
39. how old was Miriam’s pregnancy as at the time they visited the yelwa club?
40. who called out on greetings as Tayo and his family entered the lounge in yelwa club?
41. what was the name of Tayo’s daughter?
42. who phoned Tayo last week to congratulate him on his manuscript?
43. what was the name of salamatou’s son?
44. when was tayo’s family house normally quiet?
45. what did Tayo and Vanessa order when they got to the restaurant in Lagos?
(a)Rice and beans
(b)Rice and stew
(c)Rice and plantains*
46. what was the name of Tayo’s neighborhood drunk in his home town in ibadan?
47. who was the most successful trader along the west African coast?.
(d)Tayo’s mother in Law
48. what was the name of Oxford finest hotel?
(b)The Randolph Hotel
(c)Super motion hotel*
(d)Oxford Hotel and suit
49. what was the name of Yusuf’s current girlfriend?
50. What did Tunde refuse to have at the party in his house?
51. Tunde’s room was designed to be what?
(c)a slf con
52. The name of Tayo’s cousin was?
53. where did Tayo accompany tunde to?
54. where was Yusuf working at?
(b)At the clinic
(c)At the hospital*
(d)At the bank
55. what did Tayo aspire to be in the future!
56. what is the name of Vanessa’s father!
57. who drove to fetch uncle tony from station when he arrived France?.
58. who was never asking but announcing?
Possible questions from Independence, Jamb 2018
“In Dependence” JAMB Possible Questions And Answers Chapter By Chapter
The questions below were extracted from each chapter of the book “In Dependence”.
So if you would like to know JAMB possible questions and answers from chapter to chapter of the book, you have it below;
Chapter One Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
1. For what purpose is Tayo travelling to England?
Ans: To take up a scholarship at Balliol College, Oxford
2. What is the name of Tayo’s school in England?
Ans: Balliol College
3. What is the significance of Tayo’s visit to relatives before embarking on his journey to England? Ans: It is their tradition
4. Through what means of transportation does Tayo travel to England?
Chapter Two Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
5. Why is Tayo surprised that people do not greet each other in passing in England?
Ans: Because in Nigeria, so much value is attached to greetings.
6. In what subject did Bisi receive the highest honours?
7. In the Ajayi motto, all things are expected to be done with moderation except what?
Chapter Three Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
8. Who is Mr Barker?
Ans: He His headmaster and Mr Faircliffe’s old colleague
9. What reminds Tayo of his mother in the Barkers’ house?
Ans: Isabella cooks wonderful meals in a way that reminds Tayo of his mother
10. Christine was in her third year of study when?
Ans: Tayo met her for the first Time.
Chapter Four Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
11. What is Vanessa Richardson’s nationality?
12. What is the name of the friend that Vanessa wrote a letter to, concerning the status of women? Ans: Jane
13. The full meaning of JACARI is?
Ans: Joint Action Committee Against Racial Inequality
Chapter Five Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
14. What are Christine’s reasons for putting an end to her relationship with Tayo?
Ans: Because she was called ‘clingy’ and the fear of her boy being snatched by some woman
15. The language of fun among Tayo’s Nigerian friends is ?
16. What are the things that made Tayo remember home each time he is at Christine’s place?
Ans: Her cooking which reminds him of mama and the juju and highlife music she plays.
Chapter Six Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
17. What is the trait that Nessa cherises in Tayo and that is absence in Charlie and Mehul?
18. What does Nessa mean by saying she has a ‘’small confession’’ to make?
Ans: She has connections to Nigeria as her father is a colonial officer over there.
19. What did Tayo name Vanessa as?
Chapter Seven Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
20. What delicacies did Vanessa’s mother make to welcome her daughter?
Ans: Chicken pie and cake.
21. For what occasion did her mother ask her whom she was inviting?
Ans: Christmas party.
22. Whom did Vanessa’s father invite for the occasion?
Ans: His South African racist miner friends.
Chapter Eight Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
23. How old was the Richardson’s house when Tayo attended a party there?
Ans: About 200 years.
24. “We all get embarrassed by our parents”. Who said this?
25: To whom was it said?
Chapter Nine Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
26. What, according to the narrator, did Nessa admire in Tayo when she visited him in the room and saw him organizing his records in piles?
Ans: His tidiness.
Chapter Ten Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
27. Where did Simon suggest that they (him, Tayo and their two girlfriends) spend Easter?
28. Christine died by——?
29. Why did Tayo feel guilty about Christine’s death?
Ans: His refusal to respond properly to her letters and not giving her attention.
Chapter Eleven Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
30. Who is the only family Tayo has in England?
31. Why does Vanessa’s father detest Uncle Tony?
Ans: To him, he is unconventional to him and because he had the opportunity of achieving a place at Cambridge University which Vanessa’s father didn’t have.
32. What qualities did the narrator ascribe to Nancy?
Ans; She is being described as having a ‘supercilious (arrogantly proud) tone and feigned generosity’
Chapter Twelve Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
33. What made Tayo realise how lucky he was for getting a scholarship at Balliol?
Ans: He witnessed the life of struggle most African students live, engaging in ridiculous and exhausting jobs such as bakery and hospital work to make ends meet
34. What do the signs: “No Dogs, No Irish, No Coloureds’’ (Africans and Indians) symbolise in the novel?
35. The least strenuous work was reserved for whom?
Ans: The English.
Chapter Thirteen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
36. Where was bathing done since there is no bathroom in Tunde’s house?
Ans; Kitchen (in tins) or public baths.
37. For what purpose(s) did Tunde throw a party in his house?
Ans: For Tayo and to celebrate Gambia’s independence
38. ‘’Nigerian women are the best’’ who said this?
Chapter Fourteen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
39. Whose wedding did Tayo and Vanessa attend?
40. Joyce was expected to be the bride, but the bride turned out to be whom?
41. ‘’No! Don’t Moremi me’’ Who made this statement?
Chapter Fifteen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
42. On New Year’s Eve, what happened to Tayo?
Ans: He woke up homesick
43. Where did he buy his chicken from?
Ans: The Covered Market
Chapter Sixteen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
44. The finest hotel in Oxford is…?
Ans: Randolph Hotel
45. According to the narrative, who is Tayo’s favourite uncle?
Ans: Uncle Kayode
Chapter Seven Teen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
46. Who invited Tayo to lead his school assembly with a lecture on Nigeria?
Ans: Mr Richardson
47. ‘’What are your intentions with my daughter?’’ Who made this statement?
Ans: Mr Richardson
48. Who sent Tayo the telegram which reads: ‘’Baba is in hospital, recovering. Return home immediately’’?
Ans: Tayo’s mother
Chapter Eighteen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
49. What does Tayo despise Mr Richardson for?
50. Who is Dele?
Ans: The village drunk
Chapter Nineteen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
51. What circumstance led to the end of Tayo and Vanessa’s relationship?
Ans: Tayo impregnated a woman
Chapter Twenty Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
52. In this narrative, Nessa’s dreams as portrayed by the writer are…?
Ans: Writing about African art and culture
53. Who is Salamatou?
Ans: A single mother of half-caste Sulaiman
Chapter Tweentyone Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
54. In Tayo’s opinion, what are the root causes of oil corruption and a broken civil service in Nigeria? Ans: Greed and mismanagement
55. In what university was Tayo offered a job?
Ans: Birmingham University
56. Who is Miriam?
Answer: Tayo’s wife
Chapter Twenty-two Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
57. Whose diary did Tayo discover in his study?
58. Why is Miriam loved by Tayo’s family?
Ans: She nursed Tayo’s father with care when he had stroke.
Chapter Twenty-three Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
59. Whose house is described as ‘Beauty in the Heart of Darkness’?
Ans: Uncle Kayode’s house
60. What is the name of the local artiste that took Tayo to the village?
Chapter Twenty-Four Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
61. What led to the closure of universities?
Ans: University students protest
62. For what reason is Tayo Opposed to leaving the country?
Ans: He Wanted to wait and help his students
Chapter Twenty Five Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
63. In order of occurrence, what are the challenges Tayo faced that made him reconsider leaving Nigeria?
Ans: The broken pipe, his house boy’s leave of him, his disappointment in the Foundation and threats to his life.
64. What was his purpose of planning to travel to New York, even though he eventually could not? Ans: To receive an award for his book
65. Why did Simon arrange a meeting for Tayo and whom did he hold it with?
Ans: To help in the possible funding of Tayo’s university
66. What was the outcome of the meeting?
Chapter Twenty-Six Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
67. Who challenged Tayo on the road on his way home?
Ans: The soldiers
68. What reason did the soldiers give for bringing Tayo home?
Ans: They said Tayo had an accident while driving recklessly
Chapter Twenty-Seven Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers:
69. What circumstance led to the death of Nessa’s mother?
70. What killed Tayo’s father?